Northeast School of Botanical Medicine
Below are the school application, resource lists for incoming students, a number of handouts and other information. Feel free to download any and all. Some of these handouts are occasionally revised. If you have already downloaded them, you may want to check to see if you have the most current copy.
School Application Form
This is the School Application for all Northeast School of Botanical Medicine classes.
Note: There is now a calendar on this website under ‘Program & Classes’. The calendar has more specific information on dates and classes and will reflect any changes.
Northeast School of Botanical Medicine Handouts
- Botanical Identification Steps
- Plant Phylogeny Chart
- Guidelines for using Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide
- Identification of Woody Plants in Winter
- Botany for the Herbalist: Plant Families
- Herbal First Aid for Large Groups
- Herbal First Aid-Protocols, Pain remedies, Wound care, and Street Medicine
- An Herbalist’s View-Digestive Problems in First Aid
- An Herbalist’s View of the Digestive System-Treatment
- An Herbalist’s View-Herbal First Aid-Eye Problems
- An Herbalist’s View-Herbal First Aid-Setting Up a First Aid Station
- An Herbalist’s View-Herbal First Aid-Soft Tissue Injury
- Herbal First Aid-Wound Care
- First Aid Checklist 2012
- First Aid Checklist for Rainbow Gathering 2016
- First Aid Checklist for RNC 2016
- Principal Plants of Herbal First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid: Pain and Trauma, Food and Water-Borne Illness, Animal Bites and Scratches
- Herbalist’s View-Cardiovascular System
- Herbalist’s View of the Digestive System
- Herbalists view- Immunity and Lymph
- Herbalists View- Male Health
- Herbalists View- Nervous System
- Herbs for the Respiratory System
- Herbalists view-Kidneys and Urinary System
- Herbalists View of the Liver
Medicine Preparation and Herbal Pharmacy
Clinical Skills and Practice
- Herbalist’s View-Patient Compliance for the Clinical Herbalist
- Guidelines for Intake
- Herbalistic Practices
Specific Health Issues
- An Herbalist’s View-Allergic Reactions
- Herbalist’s View-Approaches to Colds and Flus
- Herbalists View- Headaches
- Herbalist’s View-Notes on Lyme Disease
- Common Medicinal Plants of the Northeast
- Community-Based Herbalism
- Wildcrafting for the Practicing Herbalist
- The Herbalist Street Medic
- The Free Clinic Herbalist
- Directions to the School
Books, Tools and Equipment lists
These are lists I made for gathering and admiring different plants during the year. Of course this will vary depending on where you live, these cover the Northeast.
- A Patient’s Guide to Common Herbal Medicines-Print double-sided, short edge binding.
- A Patient’s Guide to Understanding Herbal Medicines-Print as double-sided, it is a trifold.
- Practicing as an Herbalist in an Integrative Free Clinic
This is a large file and may take a few minutes to download onto your computer. It will load in ‘slideshow’ format. To navigate the slides, use the arrows on your computer. To get out of it, use the ‘esc’ button. If you want to see it again, look in your download files, it should be there.
- Principal Plants in Herbal First Aid
A simple description of some of the plants I commonly use in first aid.
I made these charts for the Ithaca Free Clinic waiting room. They are set up for quick information for some common health issues, and to make them pretty, they have photos of each of the plants. The ‘Notes’ handout below is to help flush out details.
- Chart-Herbal Medicines for Anxiety, Depression and Sleep
- Chart-Herbal Medicines for Pain
- Notes-for Common Remedies
These are outlines I made in preparation for presentations and classes. They are here for folks making similar presentations and are looking for outline notes. They are personalized, but can be adapted to your needs.
- Holistic Medicine in the Free Clinic – This was written for a talk I on gave at the National Association of Free Clinics.
- California School of Herbal Studies – Forestville, CA
- Maryland University of Integrative Health – Laurel, MD
- Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine – Asheville, NC
- Blue Ridge School of Herbal Medicine – Asheville, NC
- The Columbines School of Botanical Studies – Eugene, OR
- Vermont Center for Integrative Herbalism – Montpelier, VT
- Appalachia School of Holistic Herbalism – Asheville, NC