Northeast School of Botanical Medicine
The below handouts are divided into 3 sections. The first section is related to the Northeast School of Botanical Medicine and includes the application and syllabus. The next group is a wide variety of handouts, useful for incoming students and anyone interested in herbal medicine. The final section is dedicated to related links. Feel free to download any and all. Some of these handouts are occasionally revised. If you have already downloaded them, you may want to check to see if you have the most current copy. I hope you find this useful
School Application Form
This is the School Application for all Northeast School of Botanical Medicine classes.
Note: There is now a calendar on this website under ‘Program & Classes’. The calendar has more specific information on dates and classes and will reflect any changes.
Northeast School of Botanical Medicine Handouts
- Botanical Identification Steps
- Plant Phylogeny Chart
- Guidelines for using Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide
- Identification of Woody Plants in Winter
- Botany for the Herbalist: Plant Families
- Herbal First Aid for Large Groups
- An Herbalist’s View-Digestive Problems in First Aid
- An Herbalist’s View of the Digestive System-Treatment
- An Herbalist’s View-Herbal First Aid-Eye Problems
- An Herbalist’s View-Herbal First Aid-Setting Up a First Aid Station
- An Herbalist’s View-Herbal First Aid-Soft Tissue Injury
- Herbal First Aid-Wound Care
- First Aid Checklist-Generic
- First Aid Checklist for Rainbow Gathering 2019
- First Aid Checklist for RNC 2016
- Principal Plants of Herbal First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid: Pain and Trauma, Food and Water-Borne Illness, Animal Bites and Scratches
- Herbalist’s View-Cardiovascular System
- Herbalist’s View of the Digestive System
- Herbalists View- Immunity and Lymph
- Herbalists View- Male Health
- Herbalists View- Nervous System
- Herbs for the Respiratory System
- Herbalists view-Kidneys and Urinary System
- Herbalists View of the Liver
Medicine Preparation and Herbal Pharmacy
Clinical Skills and Practice
- Herbalist’s View-Patient Compliance for the Clinical Herbalist
- Herbalistic Practices
- Guidelines for Intake
Specific Health Issues
- An Herbalist’s View-Allergic Reactions
- Herbalist’s View-Approaches to Colds and Flus
- Herbalists View- Headaches
- Herbalist’s View-Notes on Lyme Disease
- Common Medicinal Plants of the Northeast
- Wildcrafting for the Practicing Herbalist
- The Herbalist Street Medic
- Practicing as a Clinical Herbalist at a Free Clinic
- Directions to the School
- Student Presentations Flyer 2019
Books, Tools and Equipment lists
These are lists I made for gathering and admiring different plants during the year. These lists focus on the Northeastern US.
- A Patient’s Guide to Common Herbal Medicines-Print double-sided, short edge binding.
- A Patient’s Guide to Understanding Herbal Medicines-Print as double-sided, it is a trifold.
- Practicing as an Herbalist in an Integrative Free Clinic
This is a large file and may take a few minutes to download. It will load in ‘slideshow’ format. To navigate the slides, use the arrows on your computer. To get out of it, use the ‘esc’ button.
- Principal Plants in Herbal First Aid
A simple description of some of the plants I commonly use in first aid.
I made these charts for the Ithaca Free Clinic waiting room. They are set up for quick information for some common health issues, and to make them pretty, they have photos of each of the plants. The ‘Notes’ handout below is to help flush out details.
- Chart-Herbal Medicines for Anxiety, Depression and Sleep
- Chart-Herbal Medicines for Pain
- Notes for Common Remedies
Class Outlines and Notes
These are outlines I made in preparation for presentations and classes. They are here for folks making similar presentations and are looking for outline notes. They are personalized but can be adapted to your needs.
- Herbalism for the Post Collapse, Dystopian Herbal Medicine ‘Rise of the Herbalist’.
- Holistic Medicine in the Free Clinic – This was written for a talk I on gave at the National Association of Free Clinics.
- California School of Herbal Studies – Forestville, CA
- Maryland University of Integrative Health – Laurel, MD
- Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine – Asheville, NC
- Blue Ridge School of Herbal Medicine – Asheville, NC
- The Columbines School of Botanical Studies – Eugene, OR
- Vermont Center for Integrative Herbalism – Montpelier, VT
- Appalachia School of Holistic Herbalism – Asheville, NC
- Terra Sylva School of Botanical Medicine-Marshall, NC
- Wild Cherries Herbal Studies Program-Pittsburgh, PA
- Jim Mcdonald, SE Michigan
- Black Locust Gardens-Dexter, MI
- Pacific Botanicals
- Healing Spirits Herb Farm and Education Center-Avoca, NY
- Mountain Rose Herbs